Earlier this week, the Inkscape upstream made the final tarballs available for the long-awaited new 0.91 version of Inkscape. This version has not been announced by upstream yet, but thanks to the awesome Fedora Inkscape package maintainer Limb, this version is now available for testing on Fedora 21. Please try it out, and give karma to the package in Bodhi.
This updated package is the next major release of Inkscape after the 0.49 version of Inkscape that was released several years ago.
This major update provides many additional features and enhancements as well as hundreds of bug fixes and stability improvements. A detailed list of the new features in this version of Inkscape is available in the upstream release notes
Some of the notable new features in Inscape 0.91 include:
- A new measurement tool that allows the artist to measure distances and angles in their drawing in realtime.
- Updates to the text tool including the ability to customise the unit of measurement for text size, and support for choosing font style variants in the text toolbar.
- The align and distribute dialog now features a new set of features that allow the user to exchange position of selected objects.
- A new “Select Same” that allows an artist to select objects that have the same properties as the currently selected object. For example, you could select an object that has a fill of blue. Then, using the new feature select all other objects in the drawing with a fill set to that same shade of blue.
- A new path effect, Power Stroke that allows you to easily create variable width strokes.
- The Gradient view in the fill and stroke dialog now displays a list of all the gradients in the document. The list displays the gradient, the gradient name, and number of uses of that gradient in the document.
- The new greyscale display mode that shows a preview of your drawing in greyscale.
- Improved rendering performance with the new Cairo-based renderer, and the addition of multi-threaded rendering of SVG filters
- A new feature in the node tool (targeted at type designers) that allows you to insert new nodes at the selected segments extreme values.